The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas - Book Review

How do you discuss a book about the Holocaust. This book was fiction so I went into it with a different perspective than the other books I have read on the topic. Told from a young boy's perspective, we get a glimpse into a life of a Nazi Commander's family living right next door to Auschwitz. 
This boy was completely unaware of the "differences" between him and all the kids on the other side of the fence. He is so caught up in his own life and how lonely he is to not have friends to play with. He looks on with envy at all of the children on the other side of the fence and when he meets a boy who lives there he doesn't even grasp the reality of what is going on when that boy tells him of his life there.
While I find some things a little unrealistic because I know that it would be VERY rare for a child to be raised in such a prominent nazi home and have no idea why they shouldn't like the Jew's or why they were any different. I appreciate the sentiment that the author is trying to show to us and I feel like it taught me a few lessons on judging others and opinions of others. 

When I think about this book I want to best sum it up with the thougts of John Lennon:
Imagine there's no countries 
It isn't hard to do 
Nothing to kill or die for 
And no religion too 
Imagine all the people 
Living life in peace
signature

Labels: